About West Ashling
The Funtington & District Village Hall , Funtington Primary School, the Richmond Arms, the Dell and the Parish Field as well as the Cricket Field are all in West Ashling, reflecting the large contribution that the village makes to the life of the parish of Funtington as a whole.
Most of the activities for younger people of the Parish are in West Ashling and, in addition, Hall is host to a thriving amateur dramatics society the Funtington Players, the Women’s Institute and a Computer Club.
A Little History
However, probably the Village’s best known feature is West Ashling Mill, also known previously as Hackett’s Mill. The original water-powered corn mill was built in 1825, but converted by Armfields, the Hampshire millwrights, in 1859-61 to a hybrid post mill. The water mill worked into the 1930s but the fantail and sweeps were removed by 1922 as residents complained about the noise.