The EAA is an informal group of residents who are endeavouring to improve the conditions and community spirit within the village. All residents of East Ashling and the immediate surroundings are automatically members, there are no fees. The elected Committee meet approximately four times a year.
In 2011 a group of residents concerned about the ever-increasing volume of fast-moving traffic through the village formed the East Ashling Traffic Action Group (EATAG).
For the Royal Wedding in 2011 (Duke and Duchess of Cambridge) and for the Queen’s Dimond Jubilee in 2012 residents joined together to organise village parties to celebrate the occasions. These were very well attended and successful leading to the idea of repeating them annually.
Late in 2012 these activities (Social and Traffic) were swept together to form the more broadly-based Association – the East Ashling Association.
The Aim of the Association
The Aim of the Association is to ‘Promote, organise and progress activities considered by the residents desirable to improve the conditions and community spirit of the village’. A copy of the Association’s Constitution can be found via the link above.
There are three working groups, each with a leader who is a member of the main committee; they are:
- Social – Emma Heaver, Mark Jeffries
- Pathways and the Environment – Helen Dignum and Michael O’Connell
- Community and Neighbourhood watch – Geoffrey Boys
The traffic group (EATAG) was disbanded in 2019 following, after 30 years, the resurfacing of the road through the village.
One of the key tenets of the Association is to work flexibly and closely with our Parish, District and County Councils for it is recognised that without their support little can be achieved. Two residents (David Ash and Bob Money) are currently Parish Councillors, with David being the Chairman of the Council.
Some of the activities of the EAA:
- Delivering a ‘Welcome’ newsletter to all newcomers to the village.
- Sending ill-regular emailed ‘Newsletter’ to residents to keep all informed of what is happening around us.
- Lobbying to reduce the speed and volume of vehicles through the village.
- Arranging village social events, in the past these have included: Coffee Mornings, Barn Dance, Firework party, Walks over the Downs to a pub and Picnics.
- Providing a representative to attend the monthly meeting of the Parish Council, subsequently circulating a brief report, to residents, of items potentially affecting them.
- Distributing the ‘Villager’ magazine to all homes.
- Campaigning to improve the footpaths through the village and immediate area.
- Arranging parties of volunteers to clear particularly untidy spots in the village and an annual litter pick.
- Encouraging support of the existing village’s Fuel Oil purchase group.
Questions, suggestions and comment in support of the Association’s Aim are always welcome, in the first instance these should be addressed to the current Chairman Alex Morey – 07887 791292, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current other officers are: Treasurer – Mike Parker, Secretary – Barry Bradley